[SECC] GQP

Subject: [SECC] GQP
From: aa4lr@arrl.net (Bill Coleman)
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2001 13:16:01 -0400
On 7/26/01 7:04 PM, Larry Hammel K5OT at k5ot@earthlink.net wrote:

>- It's pretty darn warm/humid out there as a GA mobile in July.  I think
>another look at the other potential weekends (although only a few) is a good
>idea to revisit.

Usually the fall is beautiful weather in GA (AL, too!).

>- I really like the concept of a multi-state or regional QP.  Coordination
>would be tricky, but it could be done!

The key to any QP is activity. In a state QSO party, getting locals on is
relatively easy. We already have a solid core of active operators within
the state. What's really needed is to drum up interest outside the state.

It's not that compelling to get on the air and work three GA stations.
Finding the GA stations to work can be difficult, given the level of
activity.

However, if you could get on, and work, in the same weekend, a bunch of
GA stations and AL stations -- now that might be worth your while.

>- FL isn't likely to give up anything they've earned ... and I don't blame
>them.   K4OJ and company have done a fabulous job on the recent FQP's!

I don't expect FL to do anything. As you've said, they've earned it.

>This thing might take a couple of years to gel.  For next year, increase
>visibility with a first-class web presence.  NE4S has already got some great
>things going on that.  Evaluate and perhaps change the weekend for 2002.  In
>the meantime, talk up the subject with the FL guys plus some of the
>neighboring states.  There might even be enough time to put together some
>kind of multi-state QP recognition next year.
>
>I still find the concept of more than one state running a QSO Party
>simultaneously from the same geographic area fascinating!

Agreed. Even if they are different QSO Parties running similtaneously, it
sounds great.

            -- Wilbur Wright, 1901