[SECC] W4WA CQWW CW Results

Subject: [SECC] W4WA CQWW CW Results
From: AB4RU@aol.com (AB4RU@aol.com)
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 2000 17:58:41 EST
 Callsign Used : W4WA
         Operator : W4WA
          Hours of operation: 34
         Category : SO/HP/AB/+PACKET

 Default Exchange : 599 5

             Name : RON HOOPER
          Address : 2953 HY 51 SOUTH
   City/State/Zip : LULA, GEORGIA, 30554
          Country : United States

        Team/Club : SECC

   BAND   Raw QSOs   Valid QSOs   Points   Countries   Zones

  160CW       10          10         22        10         6
   80CW       54          54        150        38        11
   40CW      187         187        537        77        25
   20CW      237         237        672       102        33
   15CW      337         337        952       106        30
   10CW      365         365       1027       130        36

 Totals     1190        1190       3360       463       141

    Final Score = 2,029,440 points.

Hi SECC'ers,

I was not up to doing a serious effort but wanted to contribute something to
the SECC club score. For those that didn't operate the contest, the bands
were full of tricks this past weekend. I found it hard to make qso's on 80
and 160 with the QRN from the rain storm passing through and the poor band
conditions. Something killed two of my beverages and the rotor stuck to the
South on the 10/40 meter beam Friday night. I was able to get the rotor going
on Saturday morning but have not checked the beverages.

I was working a CO8 on 10 meters Sunday morning at approximately 11:45 EST
and noticed the noise level suddenly increased. When I starting tuning around
the bands were almost dead. The most fun I had was while working stations
across the North Pole via aurora on Sunday evening. There were only a few
stations crossing the pole with any tone in the CW signal. This brought back
old memories of the days when I worked the VHF bands and was able to make
contacts during an aurora on 2 and 1.25 meters. It is rare that aurora will
allow propagation on the VHF bands this far south so when it happens its a
lot of fun.

The10 meter band seemed to be the best band for operating during the test.
The high solar flux really helped the conditions but the solar disturbances
seem to hurt conditions as well.  I missed zone 22,26,29 and 36, on 10
meters. The 10 meter contest will be a big event this year, especially if the
solar flare activity continues over the next two weeks.

NO9E, Ignacy Misztal, came up and operated my second station on Saturday
evening. He used his call and operated high power all band, except the one I
was on at the time..Hi. He came in first place US last year in the SP contest
operating from here. I think he won the contest because he is from Poland and
he can speak the language????. I hope to get him active in the SECC but for
now his schedule is very busy at UGA. Ignacy brought me some imported OK beer
for the contest, I didn't drink any but still had a head ache on Sunday
morning for some reason.

Hope to work you on 160 this weekend. I don't have any plans other than to
just get on.

Ron W4WA