[SECC] Comments requested.

Subject: [SECC] Comments requested.
From: thompson@mindspring.com (thompson@mindspring.com)
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 22:04:11 -0400
I agree that uniques are part of normal contesting.  The average uniques in
the CQ 160 is less than 1% for scores over 500 QSOs.
Then along comes a LZ9 and a UQ2 with hundreds of uniques that even closer
stations did not work.  RA3AUU thinks this could be rag chewers not even in
the contest.   I was able to attract many stations not in the contest in my
ARRL SS efforts.  In those days uniques was not even in the contesters
vocab.  I suspect that just like today some who got on to work one station
made several more contacts.  The list of possible uniques from high scorers
usually all show up in several logs.....thus the rate of uniques on 160 is
very low.

The probem log checkers run into is our software can ferret out uniques but
proving these contacts to be bad is hard.   If a station has 500+ (out of
1100 Q's) uniques and they are all in one or two countries...what is the log
checker to think?   Thus Don set the 7% rule as a generous test (rather than
5% as several suggested).    I found one stateside station to have probably
listed out the call book to fill out his log.   He trapped himself when he
listed novices and techs (several confirmed by mail) that have no access to
160.

73 Dave K4JRB

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/seccfaq.html