[SECC] Comments requested.

Subject: [SECC] Comments requested.
From: k4sb@mindspring.com (Ed Sleight)
Date: Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:06:48 +0000
Bill Coleman AA4LR wrote:
> In my opinion, there is NO percentage of uniques that should force a DQ.
> Any disqualification has to be a carefully executed decision by a human
> making the judgement. You can't just say "gosh, he had a bunch of
> uniques" and DQ him automatically -- there has to be further evidence
> that something is afoot.
>
> just the inability of log
> checking to determine if a contact is valid or not.

Have to disagree with Bill here. The log checking process has absolutely
nothing to do with uniques. If a guy makes a few contacts, but doesn't
send in a log, there's not much you can do. If the call appears in more
than 1 log, it isn't "unique". What's to prevent someone from inserting
a call every 3 or 4 contacts? Software to do it, child's play.

> >        The second is a growing practice (GW3YDX says he has this on tape)
> >to have someone hold a freq while they work mults across
> >        the bands.   What he found was pre-arranged holding of a freq not
> >just giving up a freq like has happened to me in the past. (and          to
> >almost everyone at one time or another).  GW3YDX recommends DQ or at least
> >reclassifying the stations to M/O.
>
> While such a practice is certainly reprehensible and unethical, in
> reality it probably does not convey any significant advantage. The
> frequency being "held" may in fact be one of the crummiest on the band.

> They don't always know what their grid square is.

It is a simple matter of either looking up your own call at probably 20
different WEB sites, or if you have a Radio CDROM, from there. And, if
the practice is "unethical". it violates the rules by default.

73
Ed

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/seccfaq.html