Re: [RTTY] RTTY Skimmer

To: "Al Kozakiewicz" <akozak@hourglass.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Skimmer
From: " pcooper" <pcooper@guernsey.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 10:31:51 -0700
Al AB2ZY and the group,

I have local access to a skimmer cluster as well as a normal cluster.
Both run simultaneously here in the shack 24/7. Looking at the skimmer cluster,
I repeatedly see spots for stations that are responding to a CQ call, rather
than calling CQ themselves.

I have tried using the skimmer cluster in a contest, and that simply clogs up
the bandmap with loads of spots that aren't calling CQ.
I know the skimmer clusters are supposed to be intelligent and only spots calls
who are sending CQ, but I see far more spots for those that aren't.

Where cluster access is allowed in a contest, I will use the normal cluster, as
I mostly use it to gauge whether another band is open, or worth trying. If
there is some juicy DX spotted, I may well try for them, depending on the
situation, but generally, if that juicy DX has just been spotted, it's usually
pointless trying, as loads of others will already be there.
This was evident during the BARTG contest at the weekend, as I came across
FP/KV1J calling CQ on 20m, so I tried to get in, but he had a mini pile-up
going. I did try a couple of times more, but then he got spotted, and I gave
up, as it just got silly, with callers shouting over each other and the
exchange in progress.
Happily came across him again later, and got in first shout. It was similar
with HP3/VY2SS.

That's just my own view of things.....

73 de Phil GU0SUP