Re: [RTTY] RTTY Skimmer

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RTTY Skimmer
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <n4zr@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 22 Mar 2016 17:13:37 -0400
I can appreciate Phil's frustration. Those of us working on the RBN are well aware that the differentiation between CQers and callers in RTTY Skimmer Server is still a work in progress.

The way it works is quite different from, and more complex than CW Skimmer, and involves a contests.ini file that attempts to define, with probabilities, the transmission formats that will be used in a given contest . RTTY Skimserv node operators consult with each other on how best to design these files to accurately differentiate between CQers and callers, but of course if they make mistakes or even forget to change over for the weekend from the normal profile, an increased error rate will result.

After a major RTTY contest not long ago, one of the participants pointed out that onething confusing RTTY Skimserv may be the practice of *ending* a CQ with "CQ". If a CQer does that, and doesn't close with a carriage return, and a caller drops his call in right away, RTTY Skimserv doesn't know whether to spot the CQer or the caller. I've certainly seen this happen.

Another possible help - the CT1BOH Skimquality filters in AR Cluster V6 let you flag or filter out stations that change frequency each time they are spotted. Obviously, a caller sliding up and down the band will be flagged and (if you choose) not displayed. I think VE7CC has something similar.

73, Pete N4ZR
Download the new N1MM Logger+ at
<http://N1MM.hamdocs.com>. Check
out the Reverse Beacon Network at