Re: [RTTY] E30FB Eritrea Trifecta

To: "rtty@contesting.com" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] E30FB Eritrea Trifecta
From: edeveloper_1--- via RTTY <rtty@contesting.com>
Date: Wed, 18 Mar 2015 20:09:46 +0000 (UTC)
Congratulations to all of you who worked them on RTTY!
It wasn't for lack of trying on my part - I spent a total of probably 6 hours
over several days trying to work them, both when they were sending in reverse,
and when they were sending in normal mode.
I heard them superbly on 15M a number of late afternoons. No calling technique
worked for me though - in the clear on either end of the pile, calling into the
thick of it, or tail-ending the last station worked.
My 400W and low wire dipoles don't always reward persistence. I'm grateful and
happy to have worked them on 20 CW and 20 phone - RTTY will have to wait for
another time.
There will always be the ones that get away completely leaving no log entry in
return for many hours spent chasing - for me those included Wake Island and
Kermadec, as well as Kish recently. In the first two cases, I heard them
exactly once. Wake almost immediately went QRT "for a few minutes for an op
change" never to return on that band (or the band went south and that was it,
or power failed, something came up, etc. - not blaming the DX team at all,
quite the contrary), and in the latter case they were working another part of
the world only, before propagation quickly faded.
Kish I could hear fine a few times, but I never had the "oomph," skill, or good
fortune to get through.
Thems the breaks! I still have 100 or so to go before working them all so lots
of exciting days of DX to look forward to.
And, there's the BARTG contest this weekend too which always is fun.
73 and good hunting.
Tyler, KC2LST