Re: [RTTY] New proposal for a Automated Digital Contest

To: "'Kok Chen'" <chen@mac.com>, "'RTTY Reflector'" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] New proposal for a Automated Digital Contest
From: Terry <ab5k@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2014 16:11:12 -0500
Hi Chen,

That's great technical info.

These kinds of inputs are great as they cause us to think along other lines.
For example, one idea might be to do a 2Tone/MMTTY shootout where every QSO
is make once with 2Tone and once with MMTTY.   That experiment would show
practical results that could be compared with the theoretical side of
things.   Who knows, we may find that on certain bands, that MMTTY is better
than 2Tone.

I started a C# program as a proof of concept.  I got it launching 2Tone and
receiving RTTY data.   I just added a timer where it will calls CQ ever 15
seconds so it's now transmitting.  I'm thinking for the first pass it will
like a simple remote BBS.   Something like if you answer the CQ as AB5K de
W7AY W7AY (call twice) then it will respond with something like W7AY de AB5K
UR 599 in TX 73 de AB5K.

The contesting version would be machine to machine and we could implement a
checksum for data validation along with a "AGN?" response if the data does
not validate.  The number of repeats might be part of the logbook entry as
that's valuable for propagation studies.

Terry  AB5K