Re: [RTTY] RM-11708 FAQ posted

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RM-11708 FAQ posted
From: "Ron Kolarik" <rkolarik@neb.rr.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 22:46:48 -0600
Kai,
Sorry for the late reply, list messages are not coming through in a timely
manner.

I'm well aware there are no bandwidth limits currently and bandplans
are only suggestions but what the ARRL is asking for is a recipe for
disaster. They propose no limits on the 2.8kHz stations, no bandplan
in other words unless they get complaints but how do we identify the
stations causing problems in order to complain? There are certain groups
that don't play well with others now and some of the personalities involved
are impossible to deal with, how are you going to get them to follow a
bandplan?

The ARRL missed the boat on this again. They should have asked for
data in the voice/image segments and lifting the 300 baud limit. It
sure would be nice to be having a SSB conversation and have the ability
to send a file a picture or whatever without having to move to the cw/data
segment to do it. It would be nice but that's not what the RM is about
according to the in favor comments.

The ARRL and a few others should be a little worried at this point about
something that may make message handling on HF for marine and Emcomm
unnecessary. The Outernet timeline looks to be on schedule for launch next
summer and that's a game changer.

No more on this for now unless you want to go offlist.

73,
Ron
K0IDT