Re: [RTTY] ARRL Symbol rate proposal

To: RTTY contest group <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] ARRL Symbol rate proposal
From: Peter Laws <plaws@plaws.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Oct 2013 17:24:29 -0500
On Sat, Oct 19, 2013 at 4:02 PM, John Becker <w0jab@big-river.net> wrote:

> Thus the reason a  "NO CODE" ham is not in the CW band.

Wow.  Really?  You know that the battle to retain ancient technology
as a license requirement (not a mode, a license requirement) was lost
over two decades ago, right?

Anyhoo ...

Now then, when a (US) license candidate signs his or her application
for a license, there are six conditions he or she must agree to by
signing, the first of which is:

      I certify that I waive any claim to the use of any particular
frequency regardless of prior use by license or otherwise;

If you'll note there are zero exceptions there.  Not for Sailmail, not
for APRS digis, not for FM repeaters.  None.  Also ...

47 CFR 97.3(6) Automatic control. The use of devices and procedures
for control of a station when it is transmitting **so that compliance
with the FCC Rules is achieved without the control operator being
present at a control point**.  [emphasis added]

One of those rules is ...

47 CFR 97.101(d): No amateur operator shall willfully or maliciously
interfere with or cause interference to any radio communication or
signal.

Those seem like perfectly good rules to me.