Re: [RTTY] RadioShack isolation transformer replacement

To: "RTTY" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RadioShack isolation transformer replacement
From: "Tom Osborne" <w7why@frontier.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Apr 2012 13:35:42 -0700
Hi Chen

I was told, I think by K9YC, to do that some time back.  I run the audio
wide open on the windows setup and crank the audio and carrier back on the
TS-450SAT until it just barely flickers the ALC.  That seems to work pretty
well both on FSK and SSB.  Makes the signal pretty darn clean.  73
Tom W7WHY

By the way, there is one more trick that I use to produce a cleaner transmit
signal.  It works with many rigs, but not all.

If your rig has an audio attenuator at the line input of your radio (e.g.,
the "Mic Gain" control in the FT-1000MP series when you use PKT mode), send
as large a signal as possible from the sound card to the rig (short of
clipping any input amplifier or saturating transformers), and attenuate the
signal at the other end for proper operation (no ALC, etc, etc).