Re: [RTTY] Fw: ARLB006 NTIA: No Objection to Additional Data Modes on60

To: RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Fw: ARLB006 NTIA: No Objection to Additional Data Modes on60 Meters
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 19:10:14 -0700
On Mar 29, 2012, at 6:31 PM, Ron Kolarik wrote:

> Uhh, doesn't the K3 use a 15khz IF? If you use the FSK keying input on it
> you're just generating 2 audio tones in DSP....AFSK controlled by the
> firmware.

Yes, mathematically, some of the newer rigs (not just the K3) generate an RTTY
signal at a lower tone pair (just like AFSK RTTY on SSB rigs) before shifting
it up to RF frequencies.

Except that the mixer image of the 15 kHz intermediate frequency is further
away than in the audio case (for example, 30 kHz instead of 4 kHz) and pose a
smaller problem.  Non-zero however, since the 15 kHz intermediate frequency
still has to be heterodyned up to RF frequencies using old fashioned scalar
mixers).

In addition, extra sideband suppression in DSP rigs result through generating
In-phase/Quadrature (I/Q) schemes instead of passing scalar analog signals
through SSB filters to suppress the RTTY sidebands.

73
Chen, W7AY