Re: [RTTY] Question?

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Question?
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2011 01:06:01 -0400
 > > For guy seeing a constant offset issue, this is one thing they may
 > want to check.

Windows 7 and Vista have another "gotcha" for MMTTY users.  The default
sample rate for most sound card drivers is now 48 KHz.  Since Window 7
and Vista directly control the sound card and isolate the applications
from the hardware with the "hardware abstraction layer" any application
that runs the sound card at a different sample rate receives data that
has been resampled (interpolated) at a different rate.

Since MMTTY (and MMVARI) default to 11025 samples/second, the resample
process introduces an error because 11025 is not an integer divisor of
48000.

There are two solutions:

1) Use the Windows Control Panel to set the "default format" for your
    sound card to 44100 Hz (CD Quality)

   - or -

2) reconfigure MMTTY/MMVARI to use 12000 or 16000 Hz sample rates.

Either of the two approaches allows the hardware abstraction layer to
pass only every n-th sample to MMTTY avoiding the need to calculate
new samples and introduce a clocking errors which generate the offset.

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV