Re: [RTTY] USB-Serial

To: k0rc@citlink.net
Subject: Re: [RTTY] USB-Serial
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 14:59:21 -0400
> Am I looking at the right product? The Digi Edgeport/2 is going for
> $100+, the /4 is $200+, and the /8 is listed $300+ on eBay. Looks
> like a nice solution if you need a multi-port solution.

You need to be careful with the Edgeport devices.  New, they are very
expensive but they can be found from reputable resellers/recyclers at
very good prices (I have seen the four port boxes for less that $30
with free shipping).

*IF* I were looking for a basic USB to serial interface for a single
radio installation, my first choice would be an Edgeport/2 or /4.  Of
course my preference is to get all of the interface hardware - FSK,
WinKey, USB soundcard and microphone switching - in a single box.
While that is not an "inexpensive" proposition <G>, it can be less
expensive and certainly less of a hassle than dealing with three or
four separate devices (USB to serial x 2, WinKey USB, USB sound card,
USB hub, homebrew mic switching, PTT/FSK drivers, and multiple cables,
etc.).

73,

    ... Joe, W4TV