Re: [RTTY] 100 baud RTTY

To: "Kok Chen" <chen@mac.com>, "RTTY Reflector" <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] 100 baud RTTY
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Wed, 27 Jan 2010 15:32:31 -0600
Chen, yes I agree about the discussions and the theory behind the error
rates you posted earlier.

What I have issue with is Bill's statement that "the consensus was"
regarding operating higher speeds than 45 baud. I agree theoretically the
error rate should be higher, especially when you don't have the extra 4 dB
of signal margin over the noise. But showing the on-the-air experiences by
posting the participants comments, this phenomenon did not appear to be a
major issue.

Overall during a contest, few contacts are made at the noise floor. And when
you can exchange twice as many contacts in the same period of time, having
to send a couple of repeats has less impact on the bottom line.

If errors were a substantial issue during those HSS contests, it would have
been mentioned in the comments I collected. What I did read was the
excitement and "fun" of the fellows trying something different, and in the
course of it all, working through station, software, and operator skill
problems.

IMO, ham radio is going to die a slow lingering death without
experimentation, innovation, and a different "attitude". As I get older, I
see more and more young people simply blowing off the older generations
technologies. That's really nothing new. But what will we learn "new" by
continuing to operate strictly at 45 baud on RTTY for the next decade or
two? If MMTTY was meant to operate at only 45.45 baud, there wouldn't be a
menu with other speeds available!

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN