Re: [RTTY] Topband: 160m in RTTY Contests

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Topband: 160m in RTTY Contests
From: "Robert Chudek - K0RC" <k0rc@citlink.net>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 22:42:27 -0500
I am consistently amazed by the negative comments why a 160 meter RTTY
contest would be a "bad thing". If we had only listened to the nay-sayers in
the past we would still be using spark. In the early days, the entire MF and
above radio spectrum was dismissed as a "wasteland" with no particular
value. And since when has 160 meters been an exclusive use band for CW, or
Phone, or bulletins, or rag-chewing?

Apparently the pioneering spirited, inquisitive minds, and experimenters
have all died off with the generations of hams prior to us. A pity.

WAS on 160 meter RTTY is not impossible. It is a challenge. Working all 50
states on 160 meters from a city lot is not impossible. It is a challenge. I
did it on CW and I didn't even have a 160 meter antenna! There is absolutely
no reason why it cannot be done on RTTY as well.

My original comments regarding adding 160 meter RTTY to the contest line up
are still valid. But I will clarify that I believe an exclusive single band
event would be the optimum "configuration" to add a new challenge for the
RTTY community to enjoy.

73 de Bob - KØRC in MN