Re: [RTTY] Topband: 160m in RTTY Contests

To: "'Jeff Blaine AC0C'" <keepwalking188@yahoo.com>, <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Topband: 160m in RTTY Contests
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists@subich.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 16:05:42 -0400
> Serious about this reply?  RTTY is "polluting" the band and
> somehow AM is acceptable?

Absolutely

1) RTTY is in traditionally CW portion of the band while AM
   activity is generally in the relatively clear area close
   to or above 1900 KHz.

2) RTTY with its continuous carrier is far more destructive
   to CW activity than CW is to RTTY.

3) The presence of RTTY has forced W1AW's obnoxious bulletins
   and code practice into relatively heavily used portions of
   160 meters rather than down on 1807 or lower.

Like it or not, RTTY (170 Hz shift 45.45 baud FSK) is not
suited to the MF range - even in times of low sunspot numbers
which should represent the most benign conditions.  In normal
conditions, FSK RTTY and other modes that are highly sensitive
to multi-path should not even be permitted at MF just like
wideband FM is not permitted below 29 MHz as it is simply
wasteful of the limited bandwidth.

160 meters is a limited resource that should be treated
with respect and not wasted on modes not suited to its
nature.

73,

   ... Joe, W4TV