Re: [RTTY] Why is it...

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Why is it...
From: "Charles Morrison" <cfmorris@bellsouth.net>
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 23:48:01 -0600
> Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 21:52:40 -0600
> From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
> Subject: Re: [RTTY] Why is it...
> To: <cfmorris@bellsouth.net>, <rtty@contesting.com>
>
> I'm surprised at this discussion.  It's been a problem
> (working dupes) in the past but in this year's ARRL RTTY
> Roundup, I did not
> once receive or see the "sorry worked B4" message at any
> time.  I think it's the first time EVER, I've not seen it happen.
>
> I think the message is getting across.  I think all of us on
> this reflector have worked hard at getting our messages across on many
> issues.  We strive hard to make RTTY contesting better for
> everyone and I've seen results.  We should congratulate ourselves at
> making our sport better.  RTTY contesters, as a whole, are
> much better operators than they were a year ago.  I'm an AMAZED at how
> good the new ops are too.  The reason for this is because the
> experienced operators care enough to teach the newcomers the
> fundamental techniques of RTTY contesting.  This care seems
> to be working.
>
> It's been fun to watch RTTY contesting grow over the last 20
> or so years.  This year's ARRL RTTY Roundup, to me, was the BEST RTTY
> contest ever.  Not only did I not see the B4 message, I did
> not witness or experience any frequency fights or deliberate
> QRM.  Maybe
> I was just lucky, but I was all over the place.  All I saw
> was a bunch of fun going on.  And that is what it's all about.
>
> Let's keep it up.  And we will see unimaginable fun once the
> sunspots come back.  I dream of the runs on 10 and 15 meters I used to
> have.  But for now, I am enjoying the great 40 and 80 meter
> activity that has spawned.
>
> BTW, I didn't make any 6 meter RTTY contacts this weekend.
> Maybe we'll try again in June.
>
> 73, Don AA5AU

I did get one during Roundup, an EA station.  Said that I was already in the
log, and I said that he wasn't in mine.  He said it was qso #xxx and was at
such and such a time, I said not in my log.  So, although he was handing out
700+, he went back and gave me qso number 300something.

The real question (without an answer of course) is, since his call is in my
log at my time, and my call is in his log at his (different) time, does the
qso count simply based on the serial number given?  I doubt it, so like I
explained to Luis (in our "2 hour discussion") in CQWW, the contact isnt
going to count for anything, and I hope he worked Don or Roland because
without them, he wasn't getting a La. mult.

Charlie
KI5XP