Re: [RTTY] Not to beat the SO2R horse...

To: Robert Jonsson <tf3tty@internet.is>,'Rick Mintz' <Rmintz@Rochester.rr.com>, rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] Not to beat the SO2R horse...
From: Ken Alexander <k.alexander@rogers.com>
Date: Thu, 20 Jul 2006 10:51:52 -0400 (EDT)
Well said, Robert.  Another thing to consider is that
the race for first place isn't the only race taking
place.  Watch a car or motorcycle race and you'll see
the the battle for 3rd or 4th place can be just as
fierce, even more so many times.

This past weekend I participated in the CQ WW VHF
Contest and used the RFSport Logger (www.rfsport.com)
to log my contacts.  The logger uploads your contact
information to a server where it is displayed on a
website for everyone to see.  The logger also shows
you this information.

I was far from first place, but I got into a great
battle with another ham for 5th or 6th place (of the
dozen or so using the logger) on 6 metres.  That was a
lot of fun, and made me spend a lot more time in front
of the radio handing out Q's and mults.

What I'm trying to say is that the vast majority of us
already know that we're not going to (and will
probably never) end up in first place.  There's always
someone with better or more equipment or bigger and
better antennas...or who can go without sleep longer
than you!  Beating your previous score is always a
worthy first goal.  After that, picking your battles,
like aiming for the guy in 23rd place, is more
realistic.

We should encourage the people writing our contest
logging software to continue working towards
developing a system where contest results can be
reported to scoreboard websites set up to report
contest scores on a "live" basis.

Thanks and 73,

Ken Alexander
VE3HLS