[RTTY] ARRL Bandwidth Proposal - FCC Invites Comments

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] ARRL Bandwidth Proposal - FCC Invites Comments
From: Jim Preston <jpreston1@cox.net>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:45:55 -0800
The FCC is inviting comments on the bandwidth proposal. Details are on
the ARRL site at this url:

http://www.arrl.org/news/stories/2006/01/09/2/?nc=1

I suggest that every RTTY op take a close look at this, in particular
the limitations on 500 Hz bandwidth. While this won't have much of an
impact on day to day operations, it could have a major impact on
contesting. Using the ARRL RTTY RU as an example, I would have lost for
10 to almost 30 percent of my contacts depending on how the frequency
chart is interpreted.

The bands were very crowded during the contest, and would have been more
so if we had these rules in place.

The frequency charts are somewhat confusing. If the upper frequency for
each bandwidth is enforced, then CW ops will lose frequency privileges
as well.

This proposal looks like an attempt to keep RTTY away from CW, and also
to expand the phone bands in some cases.

Check out the proposal and see what you think. Comments to the FCC are
due Feb. 6.

73,

Jim N6VH