[RTTY] CQ vs. S&P for RTTY Round-UP

To: rtty-contesting <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] CQ vs. S&P for RTTY Round-UP
From: "Dick Kriss, AA5VU" <aa5vu@arrl.net>
Date: Mon, 09 Jan 2006 10:13:33 -0600
Before the RTTY Round Up I was looking over the Jan/Feb 2006 issue of the
National Contest Journal (NCJ) and one comment got my attention on page 30
where K5TR noted a sign at the N5AU contest station that says "Call CQ.
Multis answer CQs".

Last year was my first time to really participate in the RTTY Round-Up and I
missed several State/Province multipliers.  After reading the NCJ tip, I
decided to not worry about multipliers this year and try more CQ runs.  The
sign at the N5AU contest station is correct.  Most of the rare states and
provinces responded to my CQ rather than me trying to find them in the S&P
mode.  Rare stations in a rate contest like RU seem to prefer the S&P mode.

I had 516 QSOs with 52 State/Prov + 23 DX multipliers. Still missed OK and
DC but that was better than last year.

73, Dick AA5VU

Ps: I copied the following report and have no idea what the guy was trying
to say to N0LP.

 N0LP 599 -4 -4 (.5FY

I got the same junkie report from the station and did not bother to log the
call.  Some things are just too hard.