Re: [RTTY] CQ vs. S&P for RTTY Round-UP

To: <RTTY@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] CQ vs. S&P for RTTY Round-UP
From: "Don Hill AA5AU" <aa5au@bellsouth.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2006 09:17:11 -0600
Scott, N0IU, wrote:

"There is no doubt that finely tuned station goes a long way, but guys like
AA5AU have figured out such things as when to switch bands and when to call CQ
and when to run."

Hi Scott et al, it's called osmosis which Webster defines as "a usually
effortless often unconscious assimilation".  I don't know that anyone ever
really figures it out, we just do it.  I used the rate meter in WL this weekend
(normally don't) and it will tell me when my rate is falling.  The Roundup is
ALL about rate, nothing else matters until late in the contest.  When the rate
starts to fall you have to ask yourself why and react.

Your rate could be falling for several reasons.

1. There is a station you're not hearing calling CQ right on top of or very near
me.  You are killing each other and don't know it.
2. The band has changed and you're not that loud anymore or the band has died.
Or you are on the band too early (happens on 15 and 80).
3. You've worked almost everyone on the band that is S&P at the moment and it's
time to go S&P yourself until others show up.
4. You're on the wrong antenna!

As for number 1, I found it very difficult to find an open space to CQ in.  I've
have NEVER seen this much activity on 20 and 40 meters in a RTTY contest from
stateside.

2. This is especially true of 15 meters this part of the sunspot cycle.  If you
have a band scope on your radio, this helps tell you what's going on with the
band.  Also true for 20 meters when the sun sets.

3. Strategy for SO2R is different than SO1R.  What to do for this one could take
several pages.  But again, it's osmosis.  Not sure why we move when we move or
when we stay, etc.

4. Did this a couple of times this weekend.

It's all about experience too.

As for my mentioning that rate is important until the end of the contest, I'm
referring to the Roundup only.  Most multipliers are taken early in the contest.
In the last 3-4 hours, if you have had good success at rate, you can stay and
fight a battle for a new multiplier.  I did this with UA0LH this weekend with 15
minutes to go in the contest.  I was looking for a UA0 and found one.  It was at
sunset.  He was working JA but mostly calling CQ.  He was extremely weak.  I
kept calling and calling.  A couple of times I thought he may have come back to
me, but I didn't give up.  It took ten minutes and his signal finally came up
out of the noise and I say him come back to me with a solid report.  It was the
highlight of the contest for me.  I probably would have passed on him had it
been Saturday instead of Sunday.

Just a few thoughts...

73, Don AA5AU