[RTTY] Unofficial "Claimed scores lists"

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Unofficial "Claimed scores lists"
From: WB2RHM - Ben Antanaitis <WB2RHM@ARRL.net>
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2005 20:36:17 -0500
Definition: A contest. An event or activity where one or more people compete against time or other entrants in an endeavor or activity where a winner is ultimately declared.

QST, CQ, NCJ, BARTG, and many other 'contest' organizers want people to support their contests by participating in them..,.... yet, they also make the contestants wait months and months (years?) in order to find out how they did in their competitions. Additionally, in some cases, contestants are required to subscribe to the sponsor's magazine or join their organizations in order to access the results.

Want to know the 'big secret' of why folks post to the '3830' list??

One word: TIMELINESS

Are you trying to tell a large group of 'type A', highly motivated, competitive individuals that they should 'follow my rules', 'enter my contest' and 'shhhh, don't tell anyone how you think you did, it's a secret until I tell you how you did'?....... give us a break!

3830 is an electronic 'water cooler', they make no claims to listing the official results of any organization or contest sponsor. If you choose to post your score, OR NOT, is purely up to you.

I find value in the 3830 list. If I feel I've had a good or bad weekend, seeing how the others I consider my peers have done, puts it into perspective... in a timely fashion. Especially so if there is another contest in one or two weeks.

Personally, I would find the BARTG competitions more enjoyable, and I would be more motivated to compete harder in them, if they were delineated by power levels. JMHO, though.

Ben WB2RHM