[RTTY] Re: Sad Comment on Operator Age

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: [RTTY] Re: Sad Comment on Operator Age
From: WB2RHM - Ben Antanaitis <WB2RHM@ARRL.net>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 15:39:29 -0400

Message: 5 Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 00:19:53 -0500 From: Sid Ashen-Brenner <sashen@swbell.net> Subject: RE: [RTTY] Re: Sad Comment on Operator Age To: <rtty@contesting.com> Message-ID: <6.1.1.1.2.20041019000824.04e3cb60@pop.swbell.yahoo.com> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"; format=flowed

         Here in Salina, the local Radio club set up in one of the local
area parks for the "Jamboree on the Air" for the Scouts,  we had 8 to 10
club members show up (youngest 33) and a whopping total of 4 Scouts.  The
local area Boy Scout Council was totally un-interested in participating in
the event. Two of the 4 Scouts were sons of one of the club members, a
third was a down the block neighbor.
         Talking to someone in Central America on SSB did not hold their
interest, but the laptop set up to do PSK-31 and RTTY did.  It would seem
that the Digital modes may be one of our stronger drawing cards.

Sid N0OBM 599 56 56

Sid,

Yes, I agree with you.

This past Sunday, W4BFB, The Mecklenburg Amateur Radio society (MARS), set up stations ala field day, at the Hornets' Nest Girl Scout council in Charlotte NC. We had HF CW, HF SSB, V/UHF FM and a 20m DIGI RTTY/PSK31 stations. Over 50 Scouts (Brownies and Girl Scouts), family, leaders, brothers who were dragged along, and others were in attendance. The VHF FM radios were a hit, perhaps because a Boy Scout troop across town had 2m/70cm repeaters set up and kept instantly replying to any CQ JOTAs the girls sent out.
The other station with the most attendance was my digital setup. I had the video output from my laptop computer hooked up to a wide screen projector in a room where 25 to 35 scouts and others sat and watched the QSOs display on the six foot wide screen, as they happened. At first I tried calling CQ JOTA on 20m RTTY. But that was a complete flop. With JARTS in full swing, almost no one would take time to reply, and the several who did were disparaging to our effort, since we were not replying to their JARTS contest exchanges correctly as we were trying to work RTTY QSOS for 47th Annual Scouting Jamboree On The Air instead. Then I switched to 20m PSK31. Instant hit! Lots of stations replied and they were courteous and spent some considerable time with us, taking questions from the audience. They reflecting very positively as ham operators, and for PSK as a mode. The girls were impressed, and more than a few have asked if we can schedule some ham license classes for the council to host.

Ben Antanaitis
WB2RHM  aka W4BFB/4 this past weekend