Re: [RTTY] RE: JARTS Contest and operator age

To: a RTTY Reflector <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [RTTY] RE: JARTS Contest and operator age
From: Kok Chen <chen@mac.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Oct 2004 11:41:28 -0700
On Oct 19, 2004, at 10:18 AM, Phil Cooper wrote:
Actually, the average isn't that meaningful anyway, and one should go by the
MEAN age, which happened to be reasonably similar for most of us.

Phil, do you mean the "median" age?

"Average" is synonymous with the (unweighted) "mean." (Sum of samples divided by number of samples)

"Median" is when you line up all the samples in ascending order and is equal to the value of the sample smack at middle the list.

A nonuniform density function (as is the case with age, whether hams or the general baby boomer anomaly) can cause the mean and the median to be wildly different.

I suspect that in addition to the 50-59 generation coming off the baby boom, there is also some contribution due to being the right age to get hooked on radio when the Sputnik craze hit (.... .. .... .. .... ..).

I put the blame on you guys. Afterall, Sir Bernard Lovell was the one who started DX'ing Sputniks at Jodrell Bank :-).

73
Chen, W7AY