Re: [RTTY] my LoTW stats

To: rtty@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RTTY] my LoTW stats
From: Richard Ferch <ve3iay@rac.ca>
Date: Fri, 10 Sep 2004 19:16:14 -0400
On Fri, 10 Sep 2004 at 07:55:48 -0400, Jim Reisert said:

At 10:59 PM 9/9/2004, FireBrick wrote:
I'm sorry guys, I don't understand this.

I most certainly did pick a fixed width font.

And....if I go to the url via my browser, I see all the rows, and columns in perfect alignment.
(except the September as I had an extra tab I think)

Both Firefox 0.9 and IE display the same way, on both my home and work PCs. Maybe the font you chose is NOT installed on everyone's PCs, and therefore the browser defaults to a non-fixed-width font that it can display.

If you use the <PRE> and </PRE> tags as someone else requested here, it should look fine.

I'm sure you are right, Jim. On this PC, Explorer displays the data in Times Roman, which makes it look awful. I just checked, and I don't happen to have Andale Mono installed on this relatively new PC. Apparently Andale Mono doesn't come with the base distribution of Windows.

I believe the <PRE> tag will force IE to display the info in a monospaced font (probably Courier New on a bare-bones system), but IMHO there is a much better way to ensure that tabular information like this lines up properly, and that's to create it as a table in the first place. Whether you are using MS Word or an HTML editor, just create a table (look for Table on the menu bar in Word or FrontPage) and enter the data into the table. The software will figure out the HTML tags for you, and the info will display properly aligned on anyone's computer regardless of whether you use a monospaced font or not.

73,
Rich VE3IAY