[RTTY] A change in "Logic"

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] A change in "Logic"
From: aa5au at bellsouth.net (Don Hill AA5AU)
Date: Tue Feb 11 23:08:38 2003
Tom, WX4TM, has an excellent point & suggestion (and great prefix too):

> It seems apparent that many, especially newer ops, don't
> subscribe to this reflector so consequently don't get the benefit of the
> expertise and wisdom often seen here..  Perhaps this might be a good subject
> for inclusion in the rtty forum at Dayton with the opportunity to hand out a
> few flyers. Of course, it'd really be great if it could be published in all
> the various amateur publications around the world.

I hope to fill part of this void.  I am presently working on a tutorial called
"WriteLog RTTY Starter" on my WriteLog website.  I will have a separate
page for newcomers to RTTY contesting where they can read up on the do's
and don'ts of RTTY contesting.

However, I'm not asking for any suggestions.  This is going to be strictly
from my point of view so it's going to be completely one-sided.  I hope to
offer the best advice I can.  But there are some suggestions I've seen on this
reflector that I don't follow.  For instance, there are some that say you should
always put both your call and the other station's call in the exchange.  I say
"bull".
It's not required (in most contests) and a waste of time.  You don't see it in
CW or SSB contesting and it's not needed in RTTY contesting.

I don't think it's possible to achieve a "perfect" example to give to newcomers.
Many people do many different things for their own reasons.  Some are good and
some are not so good for them or others.  So that is why I feel I need to do
this on
my own.  Not everyone will agree with my suggestions, but that's OK.

Maybe if it's good enough, it can become sort of standard for the newcomers to
use when starting out.  It won't be a "you must do this, you must do that" sort
of
deal.  It will be something like "you should do this because... or you can do
this if
you like".  There will be a definite "You should never call a station with your
exchange
first!".  It will be highlighted and in BOLD letters.  hi

Tom's right.  It needs to be done.  I've had great success with my other
tutorials so
maybe this one will hit the nail on the head as well.

It would be a good idea for a topic at the RTTY Forum, but contesting has been
done
for the past two years.  Maybe something more in line with "getting started"
etc. might
be better.  But then again, what would the old time RTTY guys do?  OK, maybe
we should stay with contesting!

73, Don AA5AU