[RTTY] Baudot

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] Baudot
From: w7ti at dslextreme.com (Bill Turner)
Date: Fri Jan 24 23:20:33 2003
On Sun, 22 Jan 2006 13:50:25 -0800, Tom Osborne wrote:

>But if signals are weak, when you send a space and the other signal
>doesn't get the figures signal, you get 599 too too too too.

No, not quite.  USOS resets both TX and RX on EVERY space, not just the
first.  In your example above, it resets four different times, between
the 599 and the first "too" and between each of the following "toos".

To actually receive the message as you have it above would mean the USOS
shift got garbled between EACH set of characters but the characters
themselves did not - a statistical near impossibility.  The above
message would have been received correctly, almost certainly.

I realize USOS is far from intuitive in how it benefits things, but a
little time spent head-scratching will eventually convince you it really
is best.

73, Bill W7TI