[RTTY] WAEDC RTTY Contest

To: <rtty@contesting.com>
Subject: [RTTY] WAEDC RTTY Contest
From: chen@mac.com (Kok Chen)
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 09:24:36 -0800
On Tuesday, October 30, 2001, at 01:20 AM, Waldemar DK3VN wrote:

> See you in the WAEDC-RTTY. The real hard guys you can see in the
> WAEDC-CW; if you still like CW. ~:-)

It is a joy to listen to QTCs sent and received by good CW ops.
The speed of the QTCs and acks at the end of each QSO confirmed
is what makes it so exciting and melodic.

But we know that the big RTTY ops just use a canned program which
picks the stored QSO, set up the sequence number of the QTC, etc.
Everything is automated in the spirit of getting more points quickly.  At
the receiving end, the data is also gobbled up by a robot.  Challenging
for the modem, maybe (ok, except for people like Mario, who still use
two fingers and his wetware :-)

This reminds me of a joke that went around during the space race.  An
astronaut and a monkey were sent up in a space capsule.  The monkey
was really smart and busy, it obeyed flashing lights and executed
commands
in a non stop fashion. The human was just sitting there staring at his
blank
console.  After hours of this, a message finally appeared on the
astronaut's screen.  "Feed Monkey," it says.

My saving grace is that I seldom get asked for QTC exchange because
my signals are so weak to Europe.  They can barely copy my callsign,
much less one line of QTC, HI HI.  As long as AH6OZ don;t ask me for
a QTC, I will be all set for WAE :-).

73
Chen, AA6TY