RFI

Re: [RFI] quiet chargers?

To: rfi@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [RFI] quiet chargers?
From: Jim Brown <jim@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Sep 2024 11:45:35 -0700
On 9/12/2024 10:14 PM, David E. Crawford wrote:
Any make/model recommendations, based on direct experience, for an RF-quiet battery charger+maintainer, AGM or flooded deep cycle lead-acid, 12 VDC, 3 to 5 A rating?

For at least ten years, I've used a re-purposed PSU for a defunct Thinkpad,with a Genasun MPPT Charge Regulator (for solar systems) to maintain a 100Ah SLA battery in my shack. It runs non-radio 12V gear in my shack. A second Thinkpad PSU and Genasun maintain the 100Ah LiFePO4 battery that runs Elecraft K4 and K3 rigs for my SO2R contesting setup. The LiFePO4 battery is used because it stays above 12.8V under load; the SLA lives around 11.4V under load, where the radios produce much higher IMD on transmit (clicks, splatter).

73, Jim K9YC

73, Jim K9YC