Propagation

[Propagation] Strange 14 MHz propagation from YO to W7

To: propagation@contesting.com
Subject: [Propagation] Strange 14 MHz propagation from YO to W7
From: "Ady YO2NAA" <yo2naa@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 24 Mar 2008 12:58:34 +0200
This e-mail posting is from the Radio Propagation Reflector that you're
currently subscribed to.  Refer to the end of this e-mail for directions on how
to change your subscription options, or to unsubscribe.
_______________________-start-_________________

Hi all,

I'd like to mention a strange propagation I've experimented on 17 Feb 2008
around 21.40 UTC on 14 MHz band, when I've worked K7RL and W7WA using 150W
and a dipole.
These W7 stations was the only stations I can hear on 14 Mhz band at that
time. Usually 14 MHz is completely closed after 19 UTC at my QTH (KN05OS).
I'm curious what kind of propagation mechanism can explain these QSOs.
I suppose it was ES who brings my signal somewhere in Norway, but from there
the path is entering the auroral zone, where maybe it was a kind of auroral
ES hops. The F2 MUF along the first 70% of the path has to be under 10 MHz.
I've checked some ionosondes, the one from Belgium indicate some ES and an
F2 MUF of 10 MHz, see
http://digisonde.oma.be/IonoGIF/DB049_2008048214505.GIF . On 17 Feb Solar
flux was 71 and K was 3.
If anyone can explain what was the propagation mechanism in this case, I'll
be very glad to know. Also any info about similar QSOs will be highly
appreciated. Maybe it's common for Scandinavia to work W7 this way, and I
was bring in the game by the occasional ES.

Many thanks,

73 Ady YO2NAA