Re: [CQ-Contest] Do not rely on spots for copying callsigns

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Do not rely on spots for copying callsigns
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Sun, 7 Apr 2024 19:04:47 -0700
On 4/7/2024 11:35 AM, David Hachadorian wrote:
Don't rely on spots for the call sign, especially on SSB.  On CW or RTTY, if you connect to cluster node using CC-Cluster software, you will rarely see a bad spot.  With CC-Cluster, you can pretty much take the RTTY and CW spots to the bank.

My experience echoes yours for both. One data point. VE7CC has been my go-to node to feed N1MM for almost 15 years. It went down during a couple of recent contests, and I had to quickly find a replacement in the middle of a contest. W3LPL had several listed, and I grabbed one of them, which produced a very high percentage of bad spots. Having great confidence in Frank, I switched to another of his, and it was trouble-free.

I also use CC Cluster, and set it to take spots from spotters west of the Rockies plus KL7, KH6, and MD, which gives me Frank's aggregator. Helps me understand who might be on a run frequency that I can't hear.

73, Jim K9YC