[CQ-Contest] Newbies in SS (was ARRL Sweepstakes CW, on N1MM+ group)

To: CQ-Contest Reflector <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Newbies in SS (was ARRL Sweepstakes CW, on N1MM+ group)
From: Art Boyars <artboyars@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 2023 12:25:08 -0500
Over there somebody said:

Just cleaning up email and saw this month old comment Joe.   Its no
different on SSB.    Don't forget those who just want to chat and didn't
even bother learning what the contest exchange is, before calling you.  I
can't put them in the log with N1MM running so I just don't bother logging
them.  I'd have to close N1MM then open my everyday log and log them, then
close my log and reopen N1MM once I convince them to move on.  Try to be
polite but..."

N2IC (who knows a lot more about it than I do) replied:

For Phone SS, learn how to "walk" non-contesters through the exchange:

- Am I your first contact ?
- How much power are you running ?
- What year did you get your ham license ?
- Where are you located ?"

I want to second Steve's comment and add this story from my SS SSB 2020
report on 3830scores.com:

Sunday I got called by a KZ4 (I didn't even know we had gotten that far
into the alphabet.) He had no idea what was going on; he had just gotten
his General ticket the day before, and he was excited to be making HF QSOs.
He had gotten his Technician ticket just a couple of months before. I
explained that there was a contest going on and talked him through the
exchange ("OK, I'm your number 2"). We chatted for a minute, and I welcomed
him warmly. He said I had made his day. What more reward do you need than
that?

Yes, on CW it's almost impossible to walk a newbie through the exchange.
But on phone, it's easy and fast enough, and maybe you'll generate a new
contester.

And sometimes you get rewarded with more than points for your score.

73, Art K3KU