Re: [CQ-Contest] YCCC SO2R Box and 2 computers?

To: "kq2m@kq2m.com" <kq2m@kq2m.com>, "john@kk9a.com" <john@kk9a.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] YCCC SO2R Box and 2 computers?
From: Dick Green WC1M <wc1m73@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2023 18:48:19 +0000
Hi Bob,

Depends on what you want to do.

If you're doing plain-old SO2R, you can use a single YCCC SO2R Box with two
computers by doing the switching manually from the YCCC SO2R Box front panel.
Or, you can connect the YCCC SO2R Box to one of the computers and use the SO2R
Box Utility to do the switching via mouse clicks. Neither method allows for
automated switching by the logger or use of function keys in the logger to do
the switching, but it does provides a way to switch the key/mic/headphones
between the two radios, enable stereo audio, etc.

You can use manual switching for 2BSIQ, but I think it would be awkward and
difficult. If done from the front panel of the YCCC SO2R Box, you would push
the toggle switches apart for transmit on 1 and receive on 2, or push them
together for transmit on 2 and receive on 1. Personally, I'd modify the YCCC
SO2R Box to allow connection of an external push-button box with radio-style
push buttons to do the switching (pushing in switch 1 pops out switch 2.) Even
this way, it could be hard to synchronize manual switching with transmission.

Note that N6MJ/ZF2MJ uses two radios for 2BSIQ. He has what looks to be a
custom interlock system that's probably driven by PTT on the radios, such that
when one radio transmits it cuts off transmit by the other radio and switches
the key/paddle/mic/headphones so that you're always listening on the radio
that's not transmitting. There's a diagram of the station at about minute 33:00
in this video of Dan giving an excellent presentation on 2BSIQ and SO3R:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=41DGL8yrWZM

The diagram is blurry. Dan might be willing to send you a PDF or give you a
rough idea how the switching system works.

All that said, 2BSIQ works very well with one computer running DXLog, a YCCC
SO2R Box and two keyboards. In that configuration, I don't think a second
computer adds much value besides redundancy of the log. I'm not sure, but I
think DXLog can be configured to broadcast QSO packets to a second computer
running a passive copy of DXLog even when it's in single-op two-radio mode.

73, Dick WC1M

On 8/24/23, 7:43 AM, "kq2m@kq2m.com <mailto:kq2m@kq2m.com>" <kq2m@kq2m.com