Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest SSB Frequencies

To: Barry Jacobson <bdj@alum.mit.edu>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Contest SSB Frequencies
From: Stan Zawrotny <k4sbz.stan@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2023 15:35:16 -0400
Check where the big guns set up at the start of a contest. 99% of them
choose an even freq. The rest of us get the spoils.

So, if you are doing S&P early on, set your tuning rate to 5 rather than 1
and save a lot of work. On most rigs, it's easy enough to set to 1 later on
if you want.

If you are running on an "off" frequency and many of the contacts seem off
frequency to you, there is no reason not to adjust your freq to at least a
.05 to make things easier for everyone.

Being .03 off in a big SSB  contest can cost you a contact if you are low
power S&P. Why should the guy running with a big pileup adjust his rig to
hear you when he has 10 others clearly calling him on freq. Works for CW,
but is a hindrance using SSB. Result is that both of you might miss the Q.

If you think you can squeeze a 3.7 hHz signal on at .87, why not move to
.75 or .00? Are you really 3.7 away from everyone at .87?

Remember, if you are running, your objective is to make it easier for
anyone (including the newbies) to make contact with you. It's not about
your ego, upour history of 50 years of CW contesting or your aversion
to following the norm, it's about making better contacts.

I know that this doesn't make sense to some, but I had a lucrative career
observing.........  and thinking about commonalities in what I observed.
But then, this is a sport, not a living. Play ball!

Contest exuberantly,

Stan, K4SBZ