Re: [CQ-Contest] Starting Over...

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Starting Over...
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 19:49:48 -0700
On 6/18/2023 3:57 AM, Courtney Judd wrote:
Well, I am looking for some opinions here.... took a nearby lightening strike the other day and the only turned on/hooked up was my internet router which is hooked to an external antenna.

Stuff doesn't have to be turned on and hooked to to experience lightning damage. Lightning enters our homes on power, telephone, and CATV, in addition to antennas, AND can induce very large voltages and currents on ALL the wiring inside our homes.

Your idea to do wi-fi is a very good one. I've used nothing but Wi-Fi since about 2004 (when I still lived in Chicago). The only good reasons for sticking to wired Ethernet are security, the need for greater speed, or very demanding applications like remote operation. Our ordinary WiFi (no mesh, just a router where it covers needed uses. In nearly 20 years, WiFi has been plenty good enough for anything we do, including high def video.

I've already seconded the recommendation for a K4 as a replacement.

73, Jim K9YC