Re: [CQ-Contest] Starting Over...

To: john@kk9a.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Starting Over...
From: Stan Zawrotny <k4sbz.stan@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 23 Jun 2023 17:02:31 -0400
I had a direct lightning strike that took out my entire Flex station (6600,
PGXL, TGXL and AG 2x8) including three desktop computers, a monitor and my
router. Everything was grounded. It came in from an inverted-L antenna, but
jumped onto my Ethernet.

I have been looking at what I can do to improve the shack. For example, I
have copper plates on order. They will be placed under each piece of gear
and included in the grounding system. But all of my efforts will
undoubtedly work for a nearby strike, but the only solution to a direct
strike is good insurance. Ham Radio Insurance
Associates (www.hamradioinsurance.com) wrote me a nice check for over
$10,000 with no complaints. I replaced all the Flex gear with the exact
same thing and bought some new computers. Flex told me that if they
repaired any of the gear, they could not guarantee how long they might
work, because some components might be also ready to fail at any time.

I am in agreement with replacing the FTdx5000 with a more modern rig. Most
new rigs will do digital without need for a bunch of gear and software. I
replaced my 5000 with a Flex-6600 and have no regrets. The 5000 was a bear
to get to work with digital, but the Flex is a snap. Anyone whois not using
an SDR or hybrid-SDR rig is missing out on a lot.

My advice is to not repair, but buy new. And get insurance from the company
listed above or from the ARRL. Don't rely on homeowners insurance. Some
will pay and others might not.

Just my opinions.
Stan, K4SBZ