Re: [CQ-Contest] N1MM's Embrace of Self-Spotting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] N1MM's Embrace of Self-Spotting
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 12:34:38 -0800
On 11/29/2022 6:16 PM, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
Tom has rejected my attempts to raise this issue on the N1MM reflector, so I'm trying here.    The difference between self-spotting and being spotted by an RBN node should be obvious - in the RBN case a transmitted signal has actually been heard by someone else. Making it easy to spot yourself every 10 minutes strikes me as a significant step away from the idea of only using radio to make radio contacts.

I joined CAC as the Pacific Division representative around the time this was being discussed. The logic was two-fold -- to equalize SSB with CW and RTTY with respect to spotting, but also to put contesters on equal footing with those stations publicly streaming their operations on the internet. The powers that be at ARRL seemed to believe that streaming was a way to attract new contesters, and thus a good thing. It's important to remember that CAC is ADVISORY to the committee within the League, established by the Directors, that does what it wants to do.

I personally have no strong opinion on the issue. The sky has not fallen since CW and RTTY skimmers came into wide use. As Pete has noted, spots make contesting a lot more fun for stations who can't run effectively, AND they build rate for stations that are running. They HAVE changed contesting, making it FAR more difficult for smaller stations, or those with marginal propagation, to crack the instant pileups created by rare mults and by fresh meat near the end of contests.

73, Jim K9YC