Re: [CQ-Contest] N1MM's Embrace of Self-Spotting

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] N1MM's Embrace of Self-Spotting
From: Paul O'Kane <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Nov 2022 15:44:24 +0000
On 30/11/2022 02:16, Pete Smith N4ZR wrote:
<snip>

Tom has rejected my attempts to raise this issue on the N1MM reflector, so I'm trying here.  The difference between self-spotting and being spotted by an RBN node should be obvious - in the RBN case a transmitted signal has actually been heard by someone else.

Wrong!  In the RBN case a transmitted signal has actually been detected by a remote unattended receiver.  Self-spotting is the equivalent of calling CQ by non-ham-radio means (via the internet) and, likewise, RBN spots are received by non-ham-radio means. N4ZR can't have it both ways.

Making it easy to spot yourself every 10 minutes strikes me as a significant step away from the idea of only using radio to make radio contacts.
Wrong again, and this is beginning to reek of hypocrisy.  It's not possible to broadcast RBN spots using only radio.

Just because you *can* do something doesn't mean you should.  It makes me sad that the N1MM group, of which I was proud to be a member for almost 15 years, should have decided to be the ones to facilitate self-spotting.

It makes me sad that the RBN, regardless of how noble its aims may have been, is used generally to spot, via the internet, anyone who calls CQ or TEST on CW.  N4ZR opened the RBN floodgates - he should give this thread a rest.

73,
Paul EI5DI