Re: [CQ-Contest] new hamshack computer

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] new hamshack computer
From: Jim Brown <k9yc@audiosystemsgroup.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2022 11:57:05 -0800
On 11/20/2022 6:34 PM, Jamie WW3S wrote:
If Santa was to bring you a new pc for the shack, what would you wish for?

Since about 2005, the only computers in my life have been Thinkpads. I used them in my biz my personal life, and the shack. My XYL uses one as her PC, and more with her computer-controlled looms. I've bought used (off lease) and close-outs from Lenovo directly, and off-lease from third party vendors.

My home computer is a 5 year old T570, the shack computer is an 8-year old T540. My wife's main computer is a T450, purchased used three years ago. To all of them, I've added RAM and replaced spinning drives with an SSD (if they didn't come with an SSD), as well as a docking station (which I find on ebay).

That 8-year old shack computer is quite speedy running N1MM SO2R RTTY with a second RX window for each radio, processing incoming spots, and a browser open with a half-dozen windows.

I love laptops for two reasons -- built-in UPS and great portability. Except for the ones used with my XYL's looms, all use both their built-in screens and an external monitor for additional screen space.

73, Jim K9YC