Re: [CQ-Contest] Who is OL7D?

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Who is OL7D?
From: Ron Notarius W3WN via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Nov 2022 04:27:36 +0000 (UTC)
I took the liberty of making some inquiries with some folks I know over on the
management side of QRZ.COM.
First off, for most DX stations (ie outside of North America), they don't get
listed in the QRZ database until they submit their information.  This was the
case originally with OL7D.  The operators HAVE listed their information with
others, for whatever reason, but did not originally do so with QRZ.
So there is a real possibility of legitimate calls not listed, or not listed
with full information.
Since folks became aware of this situation, I've been informed this evening (by
the amateur who manages the database) that someone has very recently created a
"shell" record -- that is, the call OL7D  itself is listed, but with no data.
Again, it is not automatically input from government or national society
sources, but has to be added or updated manually by the call holder or trustee
or equivalent.
Secondly, and I say this as a former Database Administrator and programmer, now
that the situation has arisen that it is possible for calls to show up that do
NOT have complete information, the application should be adjusted to allow for
and handle this possibility.  Something as simple as a lookup table... ie, if
the call or call data is not within QRZ.COM, then look up the prefix and find
an appropriate (if not exact) grid square.  "Appropriate" could mean any grid
square within the country/entity, be it random, or a population center, etc.
Finally, with this email, I close my involvement in trying to assist in this
issue.  Let's just say that I feel like some with whom I have privately
communicated have appeared to be more interested in shooting the messenger than
listening to the message.  Well, I tried.
Do as you will, and carry on without me.
73, ron w3wn