[CQ-Contest] Why Viewprop?

To: reflector cq-contest <CQ-Contest@Contesting.COM>
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Why Viewprop?
From: Pete Smith N4ZR <pete.n4zr@gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2022 20:17:14 -0500
Occasionally people ask me, so what?  What will Viewprop do for me?  Here's my answer:

This is my Band vs UTC chart, copied just a moment ago.  W3LPL, a callsign not unknown in ham radio circles, has called following the propagation in the days leading up to a contest "Nowcasting." The idea is simple - if you watch propagation in the day or two before a big contest, you'll probably have a pretty good approximation of what it will do during the contest.

This chart gives you a reading on activity, as measured by Reverse Beacon Network spots, for each of the HF bands for the last 24 hours, measured by reported spots to or from my area (near Baltimore).  The height of the bars is relative to other time periods on the same band, not to the other bands, but it still gives you an indication of when you should be on 10 meters, for example.  I personally would not have guessed at the peak in activity on 10 meters between 1630 and 2100Z, but I'm no propagation guru.

So give it a try - I think you'll like it.  Download it for free at https://www.dropbox.com/s/71bpmjm632xd3nd/ViewProp%20v0.99.04.zip?dl=0

--
73, Pete N4ZR
web server at<http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.