Re: [CQ-Contest] Spoofed Self spots

To: "cq-contest@contesting.com" <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Spoofed Self spots
From: Ron Notarius W3WN via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Tue, 2 Nov 2021 02:29:55 +0000 (UTC)
While it may not be possible to figure out who the "bad guy" is, it would be
interesting to note where these bogus "self spots" originated from.
If nothing else, if it can be shown that WX3XYZ, WX4XYZ, and P51ZYX etc. were
all "self spotted" from the same IP address, and said IP address does not
correspond to one that each (let alone all) of those operators could or would
normally use... then it is proof that a mischief maker was sowing mischief,
providing plausible deniability to any accusation of self-spotting.
(IE, if someone has the idea to use these "spots" to make accusations, a simple
analysis should show why they are more likely to be bogus.  Sad to say, trust
is not what it used to be, in the contesting ranks)
I strongly suspect that some anti-contest klown figured out that this would be
a good way to rile many of us up, point fingers at each other, and worse... all
to sew disruption amongst us, and have a little malicious fun in the process.
Let's spoil that "fun" and nip this one before things get out of hand.
(And if we ever catch the perpetrators?  Well, how many of you know the real
usage of a Wouff Hong and a Rettysnitch on Lids, none of which can be discussed
on the reflector... if you know what, then you know why... )
73