Re: [CQ-Contest] Please Explain This...

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Please Explain This...
From: K9MA <k9ma@sdellington.us>
Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2021 14:22:48 -0500
That happens all the time, and I do the same as N4ZR does. Sometimes I get it wrong, and K9NA really WAS calling!

73,
Scott K9MA

On 4/19/2021 9:22 AM, N4ZR wrote:
Pete's example is certainly terrible, and I have no problem with not working any of the unsought callers in that case.  It's worth mentioning, however, that not all pileup situations are so unambiguous.  For example, what if the runner asks "A?" or "L?" and I'm in the pileup,and conditions are tough, as they were this last weekend.  If I hear the other caller, and he fits the request, that's easy, but what if you don't hear anyone else, what to do?  My call is short in CW, so I often hear the end of others' calls, but suppose the running station is weak, but answers in sync with me.  Should I not answer because of a missing or mis-heard dit?

My point is simply that this is a judgment call every time.  Some are easy and some aren't.

73, Pete N4ZR
web server at <http://beta.reversebeacon.net>.
For spots, please use your favorite
"retail" DX cluster.