Re: [CQ-Contest] World Wide Digi DX Contest Results.

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] World Wide Digi DX Contest Results.
From: David Gilbert <xdavid@cis-broadband.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2020 21:19:09 -0700

And again I will say that's a problem of the user interface, not the fundamental mode.

Look at it this way.  If there was an application that sent and received FT4 signals (still time frame locked to 7.5 seconds) but was narrow band tunable (thereby giving up multiple signal decoding), allowed more generalized messages (still constrained by the bit count limit but no longer needing to send callsigns each frame because it didn't need to decode multiple simultaneous transmissions), and allowed a UDP feed to N1MM+ for logging and scoring by N1MM+ ... how would that be any different than RTTY except for having much better sensitivity and much better bandwidth utilization??

That's probably more stripped down than even I would propose since I think the ability to decode multiple simultaneous transmissions is an important feature for spreading out the signals (essentially everybody operates split), but my point is that it is NOT the mode that is the problem ... it's the current user implementation of it that's the problem.  A proper contest UI could utilize the best features of FT4 as a mode (I don't like FT8 for contesting because I think it's simply too slow) and still look like MMTTY for everything else, and we'd all be better off for it.  It would still require the operator to decide whether a contact had been made ... just like is done now with RTTY ... but we'd have far better spectrum use and much better access to weak signals.

I simply don't understand why this isn't better recognized.  The operator isn't held hostage to the mode ... the operator is currently held hostage to the user interface.  WSJT-X and it's current derivatives are focused on casual weak signal contacts, not contesting.  We need a proper UI to make the mode viable for contesting, that's "all".   And no, I'm not smart enough to write it ... but somebody out there is.

73,
Dave   AB7E