Re: [CQ-Contest] My FT8 totals: Not what I thought it would be.

To: CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] My FT8 totals: Not what I thought it would be.
From: John Bastin via CQ-Contest <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2018 14:48:12 -0500
On 20Dec 2018, at 21:08, DXer <hfdxmonitor@gmail.com> wrote:

> Here is the scenario:
>
> 1) FT8 user since day 1;
> 2) No FT8 robots ever used;
> 3) Maximum power used is 75 Watts, on 80M only;
> 4) Antenna is a Hustler 6BTV at ground level, no radials;
> 5) Time spent on the radio is only what a normal, responsible family man,
> following a healthy/balanced lifestyle would spend.
>
> Total entities confirmed: 68...yes, sixty eight. I thought I had a lot more.
>
> I'm sure a number of entities would not have been worked/confirmed using
> other modes. This is still far from the end of the hobby as we know it, or
> the banalization of DXCC.
>
> It does not appear, based on this sample of only one user, that FT8 is
> responsible for any undue advantage in favor of the little pistol, to the
> detriment of the more accomplished DXer/Contester.
>
> It would be great if others could post their FT8 totals for comparison.
>
> 73 de Vince, VA3VF

Well, since you asked…

My first contact made with FT8 was 6 Apr 2018. I hadn’t really rushed into
using it.

As far as time spent, I’m retired so I probably spend more time on the radio
than a working person, but I don’t feel I enable BIC excessively.

Power used on FT8: most of the time I use 40 or 50 watts, I go over that very
infrequently, I don’t see any need. Antennas are a 204-ft G5RV for 40 and 80;
an extended inverted L for 160 and 30; quad antenna at 65 feet, 3 elements on
20-17-15, 4 elements on 12-10-6.

The numbers: FT8 contacts made — 3553
  Countries: 131 worked, 107 confirmed
     States: 50 worked
   Counties: 799 worked, 466 confirmed
Grid squares: 728 worked

I don’t see any *undue* advantage in favor of the little pistol because of FT8,
but I *know* some of my contacts would not have been made if not for the
weak-signal functionality of this mode. It has helped me immensely in dealing
with my high noise level here, especially on 160 meters.

That’s my story and I’m sticking to it…:-)

73,

John K8AJS
jbastin1@me.com
CWOps 1694