Re: [CQ-Contest] Running ID *** Maybe the wrong question is being asked.

To: Steef <steefpa3s@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Running ID *** Maybe the wrong question is being asked...
From: Martin Durham <w1md@cfl.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 2 Nov 2013 11:24:21 -0400
So......why do stations INSIST on calling in a pileup if they don't know who
the station is???

If you don't know who you are calling...wait, listen, ID, and THEN call if you
need the station.

Or...move on and work the next station you find.

I know from operating in the Caribbean the last 10 years that there are times
the pileup just gets too deep...backing off to IDing every x number of calls
helps to thin the herd BECAUSE people will move on.

Most of this past weekend our CQ or calling consisted of "PJ4X, QRZd....or just
PJ4X" after each call worked...and interestingly there are many times where
I'll hear a "What's your call?" Within seconds of me ending a contact and
saying pj4x.

73,

Marty Durham
W1MD