Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW 1500 W output ... stop the limit :)

To: "'Zrinko Zibert'" <ve3zik@gmail.com>, "'CQ-Contest MailList'" <CQ-Contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] CQWW 1500 W output ... stop the limit :)
From: "Randy Thompson K5ZD" <k5zd@charter.net>
Date: Thu, 12 Sep 2013 11:05:49 -0000
Contesting is a game.  Games have rules. The rules create barriers or
constraints that equalize the competition or create strategic choices. If we
ignore the rules we don't like, the game is no longer meaningful.

Those stations that run more than 1500W are cheating. Much the same way
users of performance enhancing drugs in bicycle racing, Olympic sports,
baseball, etc. are cheating.

The temptation to cheat is strong.  "It doesn't hurt anyone." "It makes up
for my poor location." "Everyone else is doing it." These are all
justifications to make the cheater feel better. They do not make it right.

The cheaters are hurting the contest. Their loud signals drive other
contesters off the bands. Participants lose faith in the integrity of the
game and decide not to play. New contesters see the cheaters make big scores
and think that is the way to compete so the next generation learns to cheat.

Power cheating happens all over the world. Temptation and lack of control is
a human condition. In ham radio contesting it seems to happen much more in
some places than others. These areas are so invested in cheating that they
ask for the rules to be changed to make it OK.

In the end, there are those that follow the rules.  We respect their
integrity, their effort, and their achievements.  For the others, we see
their scores, but we know they are dirty.  Maybe they are not disqualified
(because there is not the oversight of professional sports), but we do not
have to respect them.

Fair play means following the rules.  All of them.

Randy, K5ZD