Re: [CQ-Contest] KR2Q - RX1CQ

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] KR2Q - RX1CQ
From: "Michael D. Adams" <mda@ab1od.org>
Date: Tue, 9 Aug 2011 23:42:40 -0400
Bob, W5OV wrote:

> Ron,
>
> Once again, you have offered no explanation of WHY your log should not be
> public.

[...]
> Tell me why you object? What is private about your contest log data? What
> difference does it make if it is public?

I can't speak for Ron, but I can offer a theory.

I am a new ham.  I've enjoyed playing in a few contests since I got on HF a
few months ago, but part of the challenge I've faced is figuring out what
the heck I can do to come out with a not-embarrassing result.

So, I have also found it interesting to peruse logs that have been made
public, to get a feel for what rates are "good", how often band changes
might occur, etc.

In my day job, I'm an actuary.  It probably comes as no surprise that I
would love to get my hands on a collection of logs to mine through, and
perhaps identify optimal operating practices -- it would be a really cool
data mining project, and it might give a "tiny pistol" station like mine a
leg up if something could be learned from the exercise.

If I were the owner/operator of a consistently competitive, serious
contesting station, it would be very easy for me to be concerned about
someone else doing such a research project, if I had some secret strategy
that I didn't want someone to detect or improve upon.

I personally prefer openness; but I can see the point of those who might
want to protect their contesting tricks.

--
Michael D. Adams (AB1OD)
Poquonock, Connecticut | mda@ab1od.org