[CQ-Contest] Un-assited as assisted (was Live Audio - K5ZD for CQWW CW)

To: kh6nd@hawaii.rr.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] Un-assited as assisted (was Live Audio - K5ZD for CQWW CW)
From: k3bu@optonline.net
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 2006 15:31:49 +0000 (GMT)
> After several years of no longer being subscribed to this
> reflector, but
> reading the archives from time to time, I have just now been
> strongly
> compelled to re-engage here in light of this discussion, and
> what in my
> opinion is a truly bizarre post by K3BU that I just found on the
> 3830
> reflector.
>
> Yuri...
>
> Do you actually think that it's okay for you to jump categories
> after
> the fact, just so you can put yourself in the record books in a
> different category than that in which you competed?
>
> I wonder what the CQ WW committee will think about this blatant
> admission on your part. And what about the guy that may have
> actually
> competed in this category in good faith, whose honest effort may
> fall by
> the wayside, after having adhered to the spirit of the rules
> that the
> large majority of us here hold so dear?
>
> What in the world are you thinking, K3BU ???
>
> Mike
> KH6ND

Are we getting into another grey area (interpret, any way you like it)?

Is it "against the law" to claim different category, one that is above or
within the rules for it?

As far as I am aware, it is not prohibited to have one claiming to be in Low
Power, when operating QRP, or claiming High Power, when operating Low Power, or
claiming M/S when operating Single op, or claiming M/M when operating M/S etc.
Operating un-assisted and claiming assisted is in the same framework - claiming
lower category for higher one.

Normally it is foolish to operate in the lower category and claim higher, but
if one chooses so, I do not see the prohibition of doing so. By me, claiming
assisted, it should only set the low ball score for someone with assisted to
beat it (maybe it was beaten).

I will make note to the sponsor and let them decide what is appropriate. I have
no problem by abiding by the rules and the final decision of the CQ WW CC.

If I have offended anyone in assisted category by operating un-assisted, I
apologize and will withdraw my log if it was in blatant violation of the
contest rules.

I have to admit to "assistance" in the spirit of "they don't get it"
discussion, that I had wonderfull "assistance" from SDR1000 radio, showing
beautifull spectral display of the band, new pileups, empty spots on the band
and distribution of stations when switching directional antennas and seeing
where the juicy stuff is. That receiver also rocks and puts Orion to shame, it
is sooo quiet, just that delay through DSP is a bit behind, but I can live with
that at my age. So if that makes it ass-isted, than I can sleep well knowing I
have confessed and may the CC be the judge.

Thanks for the QSOs, even the zero pointers, happy to oblige!

73 Yuri, K3BU